Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Plan...

Photograph by Kelly Butts
As some of you may or may not know... I am currently in the process of writing my first gardening book. I decided that it might be a good idea to start blogging about some of my plants, experiences, knowledge....  and use some of that in my upcoming book!

Photograph by Paul Gellatly
As far back as I can remember I have been into horticulture.  When i was in my mid-teens, I was a director of the Waterloo Horticultural Society, took classes in the art of Bonsai, and became a member of the Bonsai Society.   I entered flower shows, city wide garden competitions, attended numerous conferences and exhibits.  Traveled coast to coast across Canada to some of the better known gardens, as well as the hidden gems.  Dabbled in landscaping, and completed work on some beautiful properties.

Plants were always part of my life, interest and passion.  It was not until recently, that I decided to make a career shift and enter the world of horticulture as a profession.  I began working part time at a high end garden center in Toronto, and secured a position as a gardener with the City.  I continue to learn new things every day, and apply the knowledge I've built over the last 25 years.

I currently have a collection of close to 200 different houseplants.  Some you know, many you likely don't... but should!  

This blog will provide the opportunity to share with you some of the knowledge I have learned over the years, show you some pictures, plant profiles, and answer questions you might have.  I also will discuss various gardens, garden centers  festivals, and shows that shouldn't be missed.  

I look forward to introducing you to the passion of plants.


Photograph By Paul Gellatly






1 comment:

  1. Paul, I love reading your entries because I haven't got a club about how to keep any plant alive. Hopefully one day I can have a beautiful collection of living plants at my house. Keep up the great work.

    Ola

    ReplyDelete